Saturday, July 24, 2004

Welcome to A New Metre Weblog

Please come in; make yourself at home. But before you do, you must know that this is not what you would consider to be "normal" modern poetry. As Robert Frost once said, "Writing poetry without metre is like playing tennis without a net." I challenge you, find the metre in my poetry. There is always a net in my game of tennis.

Metre can be many different things. I have chosen, as the most natural, a metre inspired by Samuel Taylor Coleridge's speech metres. Anapests, trochees, and other classical metrical devices are not used; only the natural accents in natural speech. These poems should not be read stop-and-start at the end of each line, but then, no poem should be read that way. Read each one as if it is a natural sentence, and the poem will come out. You will find my New Metre.

Also, please be aware that is a forum for airing my poetry for criticism. If you have something to say, by all means, say it! I will listen, perhaps act on, and if I really like it, (with your permission) post it on the log and/or site.

This weblog is the companion and early-arrival site for A New Metre.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home